Hi Boulder Knoll Community Farm CSA members –
Can you guess where this photo was taken?
Tomatoes – Well, they are looking pretty crummy, but the fruit is still delicious even if you have to cut a late blight blotch off. It’s not very deep and doesn’t affect the taste at all that I can tell. I’ll be sharing out some less than perfect tomatoes out for folks to take.
Anticipated distribution this week (if we’ve got enough harvest and prep help):
- Potatoes (The variety is Elba, a very good all-purpose spud. Check here for some recipes http://www.woodprairie.com/product/285)
- Onions (These are not fully dry yet, so use them soon as they won’t store)
- Lettuce (different summer varieties including red fire, matina, oakleaf)
- Summer squash (Check out our recipes section for a great corn, tomato, squash dish)
- Green beans (haricots vertes) (hope you’re liking these – they’re a bear to harvest)
- Sungold cherry tomatoes
- Choice: braising greens, eggplant, tomatillos w/ hot pepper, lemon or other basil, maybe bell peppers
- Herbs – They are thriving and you’re invited to pick your own – no limit. We’ve got mint, lavender, rosemary, oregano, summer savory, lemon balm, chamomile, and others.
Thanks to members of the Frank, Perchell and Pearsall families who worked Saturday to harvest potatoes and onions. We had a good time. Without their efforts this week’s share-out would be leaner. We’ll have another potato harvest in a few weeks.
Work needed – Please get in touch with Liz Aldred firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule time in the garden or the shed. I’ll offer some early and late hours this week to avoid the heat.