Your share this week is likely to include:
- French Fingerling potatoes (Sunday) (cute little red skinned potatoes with pink streaks thru the flesh)
- tomatoes (I’m picking them a little less than fully ripe. Leave them on the counter for a few days. Don’t refrigerate tomatoes.)
- Sungold cherry tomatoes
- cukes, squash
- eggplant, peppers
- basil – get out the pesto recipes (Thursday)
- fruit (Melon? Early apples? We’ll be surprised)
- other good stuff
Cool Educational Events
Connecticut “Rocks!”: Minerals, Cross Dykes and Geology with Charles Dimmick
Tuesday August 23rd 4-6pm Rain or Shine
Retired Cheshire geologist Charles Dimmick will lead us in this special opportunity to visit a regionally famous geologic feature right on Boulder Knoll Road! On a short walk and exploration, we will discover the entrance to a 100 year old copper mine, the North/South and East/West cross dyke intrusion. We’ll also learn about minerals and rocks from around our farm and beyond. Bring a rock to share and take home a sample from our special pile! All ages are welcome. Please wear long pants and closed shoes.
Raw Food Smoothies and Recipes: Healthy Living with Amber Beitler
Thursday August 25th 4:30-5:30pm + Sunday August 28th 3:30-5:00pm
Want to try something new with your CSA share or local produce? How about a smoothie?? Previous CSA member Amber Beitler will be on deck during CSA share-outs, handing out smoothie samples, sharing recipes and tips on smoothie creation and presenting on healthy living.
Annual Tag Sale – Sept 3rd – Donate to ours or rent your own space!
This is a major fund-raiser for the Friends of Boulder Knoll. Please collect good quality items and bring them cleaned and pre-priced to the Cheshire green early in the morning on Saturday, Sept 3rd. We need lots of volunteers1
We need people available day of event to assist with organizing, setting up, breaking down, taking money, available to help with breaks. Please email me to sign up for the day, a couple hours, whatever you can give so we have a general idea of time. I’ll email the final list of helpers with a map of where our shared spots will be on the green before the event.
HOURS we need people: 7am – 1:30pm
- 7am – 9am – set up tables, help people bringing items unload and set up on/at tables, ensure everything is cleaned and priced, help direct shared spaces to their appropriate spots for set up.
- 9am – noon – sell, sell, sell,
- noon – 1:30 clean up, breakdown tables, sort out anything left to go to Goodwill and trash
- 2pm Meet up for nachos and margaritas for our 3rd annual “Thank Goodness It’s Done” celebration 🙂
Please contact CSA member and Board member Meredith Berger email@example.com to volunteer to help, or with questions.
Individuals and organizations can also set up their own tag sale spaces – $10 for individuals, $25 for organizations. The foot traffic is great – lots of folks stop for this tag sale because there are so many vendors. Contact Meredith to sign up for a space.
Advance notice of upcoming pick-up schedule change
Please note the following:
- Thursday, Sept. 8 pick up will be moved to Wednesday, Sept 7, from 4 – 6:30
- Sunday, Sept. 11 pick-up will be moved to Monday, Sept 12 from 4 – 6:30
My daughter, Alani, is getting married in a weekend-long event and these changes seem like the best way to make sure the harvests are fully staffed. Please let me know if you have to change your pick-up days this week because of these changes. Thanks for your understanding.
See you at the farm