Your colorful share this week
- onions (Mon)
- scallions (Thurs)
- cherry tomatoes
- Choice bags of squash, cukes, eggplant, tomatoes
Please join us for a Boulder Knoll Community Farm (weed*) Pulling Party
Saturday 12 noon – 4 p.m.
All you need to bring is your enthusiasm, ability to pull and perhaps a tool and a pair of gloves. (Heavy duty weed whackers are welcome, too.) We will supply the weeds, drink and snacks. We will all get the satisfaction of knowing the farm is healthier, neater and we are getting a head start on next year’s unwanted weeds. Any amount of time you can party will be fine.
* The weeds are going to seed, getting overgrown and encroaching on our healthy crops!
A great carrot – lemon smoothy drink!
- 1 lb carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups pineapple and/or unsweetened white grape juice (we used diluted cranberry juice)
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Lemon wedges (Brenda thinks some mint leaves would be a nice touch)
- Combine carrots and water in medium sauce pan. Simmer 30 min. Or until very tender. Cool slightly. (important to cool before putting in blender because cooling prevents steam from building up and hot liquid spilling over top of blender) Transfer cooled mixture to blender. Add one cup of pineapple juice. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Transfer blended mixture to pitcher. Stir in remaining pineapple and lemon juice. Cool in refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours. Mixture may thicken. If you’d like, add one to two cups of water to reach desired consistency.
- Serve over ice with lemon wedges. Store refrigerated for up to one week.
Also try freezing into individual freeze pops for a delicious, healthy frozen treat!